What are some benefits of using a coordinate measuring machine (CMM) ?
Machining complex CNC Swiss screw machine turned parts and CNC vertical and horizontal milled parts to tighter tolerances improves as manufacturing technology advances. Computerized processing and metrology allow for more complex parts and faster manufacturing. When contract manufacturing job shops are required to produce complex components quickly and accurately, it is vital to maintain a consistently high level of quality. Coordinate Measuring Machines help manufacturers deliver quality in many ways throughout the process.
A CMM is a specialized device used in industrial metrology to measure the geometry of physical objects. It operates by moving a probe around the object’s surface and measuring its position in three-dimensional space. CMMs are commonly used in manufacturing, quality control, and inspection processes to ensure the accuracy and precision of manufactured components. Below are six benefits of using a Coordinate Measuring Machine.
- Improved Efficiency – a measuring probe moves along predefined paths and takes measurements at specific points on a part. This eliminates the need for manual manipulation of the probe, reducing the risk of errors. CMMs can also be programmed to perform multiple measurements on different points of the same object, allowing for efficient and comprehensive inspections. This is critical for components with hundreds of features or complex GD&T requirements, such as CNC horizontal milled manifolds.
- Repeatability and Reliability – CMMs create a digital model of the part, which can be compared to the original solid model design file. By using Coordinate Measuring Machines for quality control, manufacturers can minimize the risk of defects and ensure that the parts they produce are at the pinnacle of quality and performance.
- Accuracy – CMMs can also be used to monitor the manufacturing process, identifying potential issues early on and allowing for corrective action to be taken before parts are produced out of tolerance. By integrating CMMs into the CNC turning and milling manufacturing process, manufacturers can ensure that their products meet the highest standards of quality and accuracy.
- Verifying Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) – Coordinate Measuring Machines can verify GD&T by measuring the physical features of a part and comparing them to the design specifications. GD&T specifies the allowable variation in the form, size, orientation, and location of part features, and CMMs can accurately measure these features to ensure that they meet the specified tolerances. CMMs can also provide detailed reports and statistical analysis of the measurements, allowing manufacturers to make data-driven decisions about the quality of the parts.
- Efficient Labor Use – Automation of the measurement process reduces the need for manual labor. This allows operators to focus on other tasks, such as analyzing measurement data and making process improvements, rather than spending time manually manipulating a measuring probe. When integrated into the manufacturing process, it enables machine operators of CNC Swiss screw turning and CNC horizontal milling processes to focus on efficient and controlled processes while having timely and accurate feature size data.
- Linking CAD models between manufacturing and QA plans – By linking the CAD model to the CMM, manufacturers can ensure that the part is manufactured to the correct specifications and that the measurements taken by the Coordinate Measuring Machine are accurate and reliable. Additionally, CMMs can be used to generate reports that compare the measured data to the CAD model, providing a visual representation of any deviations or errors in the part.
Integrating a CMM within a job shop manufacturing plant is key to consistently delivering fast and accurate parts. The high level of confidence that the end product will meet the customers’ demanding specifications is a source of reliability. The benefits of a CMM get passed along to the customer every time.
Contact a Nolte Precise Manufacturing representative with any questions about how CMM plays a role in delivering their highest quality parts across their CNC Swiss screw machine, CNC lathe, and CNC vertical and horizontal milling processes to best serve OEMs in the Aerospace, Hydraulic and Pneumatic Motion Control, Defense, Firearms, Medical Device, and Industrial Equipment Industries.